This online logbook intends to provide information on the past and ongoing operations of the Ocean Viking. The logbook entries are not updated live but as regularly as possible by our teams who are currently engaged in search and rescue operations at sea.
Last update: 27/04/2021 at 19:39 (All times in UTC + 2 hours/CEST)
– On April 18th, the Ocean Viking leaves the port of Syracuse (IT).
– On April 22nd, the Ocean Viking witnesses the aftermath of a shipwreck that claimed up to 130 lives in international waters in the Libyan Search and Rescue Region. (Find a recap of events here.)
– On April 27th, at 11:45, 236 survivors are rescued from two rubber boats in distress and brought to safety onboard Ocean Viking.
– On April 28th, as the team on the Ocean Viking prepared for the rescue of a rubber boat in distress, the Libyan Coast Guard arrived on scene and intercepted the boat. A second boat in distress that the Ocean Viking was also alerted to was intercepted by the Libyan Coast Guard as well.
– On April 30, Ocean Viking receives instructions to proceed to Augusta, Italy, to disembark the 236 survivors.
– On May 1, Ocean Viking disembarks 236 survivors in Augusta, Italy.
– On May 2, the Augusta Harbour Master notifies the Ocean Viking of a 14-day quarantine as ordered by the Italian health authorities.